Saturday, 13 May 2017

Reflective Statement - Fantastic Voyage

I was daunted by the size of this project and the scientific aspect I would need to understand for it to be successful. However once I had the idea of seeing the human cell as a marble on a marble run I was more able to grasp the cell cycle process. I focused initially was on creating the marble run stage and because I felt comfortable with idea I probably spent too long on it. Strengths of this phase were that:

  • The scenes were colourful
  • Fun
  • Varied in their style and direction of travel
  • I learnt new skills in using a deformer
If I was to do the project again I would:

  • Make sure that the marble could be seen more clearly through the tunnel
  • Add suitable sounds to the marble run
  • Shorten the time of this phase
I most enjoyed creating the marble because:
  • I could experiment with colours
  • I was managing a perfect shape
  • It looked like a marble and it looked like a cell
  • The frame containing the mass of marbles is colourful fun, inviting and pleasing to the eye
I probably wouldn't alter the marble in any way. 

As I moved into the cell cycle phases I tried to retain the child like, toy like theme and I looked for inspiration in children toys. The DNA was not easy to create in this respect but by adding a fork and suggesting that it was like spaghetti I felt it was something the viewer would relate to. Using the curve tool in Maya I made, then duplicated and then rotated the shapes. The main difficulty was trying to make the entire cycle plastic looking. 

The chromosomes were difficult to animate but I was inspired by the idea that they were trapeze artists. Using the squash and stretch method I was able to present there act. 

I do recognize that there were a lot of different styles in my animation and therefor the film did not always flow seamlessly. If I were to do the project again Id keep the art style more consistent and less varied.

I had originally thought about using a jack in the box to sign post my animation but instead used a spring and an arrow. I do feel that this was my most effective movement because its shape and sound flowed well. 

As has happened previously I become so engrossed and obsessed with the creation and animation that I loose site of the importance and help that sound design can provide. I was pleased that I was able to synchronize the sound and identify an effective voice over. 

On reflection the target audience than I had originally planned. Although I have had feedback from current GCSE students who have enjoyed the animation. 

I cannot deny that I have worked every waking hour on this project. When I compare my initial attempts at the beginning of the year I can see the extent of my improvement and I am proud. I know that I still have a long way to go but will benefit from being able to find my way easily around the Software Process and I look forward to Year 2! 

No comments:

Post a Comment